Sunday, June 15, 2008

THE NOTE


Someone had tried to kill me and I had a pretty good idea who it was. I could still smell the blood on me and I wasn’t going to let it happen again.

It wasn’t the end and it wasn’t the beginning. It was only that moment where you know that the way has revealed itself and the key was to figure out how to make it play out like you wanted. It was pretty simple, I figured. Things had to be shed quickly and humbly. It was the only way I would ever be able to settle the score and get away for good.

I had seen the answer in my dreams. Waves of numbers flowing as a river on curves of a woman’s flesh. Her robes had slipped away in the twilight and the symbols were tattooed upon her. Numbers don’t lie, but sometimes their solutions transcend the mathematics. I knew what had to be done.

Surrender and attack. Walk away from it all, like from a burning wreck on an empty road, and head into the night. Surrender the past, but not the fight. Never surrender the fight.

So I worked fast. I grabbed what mattered most: family photos, pictures of Cristo, my writing, my sketches and my guitar. Done. I left that apartment forever. I got into my new car and I told myself that I would play it better this time, that I was beginning to understand, that I would win.

All I left at my place was a simple message:

“Jack the Knave. That’s your name, right? I know you’re gunning for me. You work for the Beast of Seven and Ten, Cappo di tutti cappi, pez gordo, The Man. He gives you dominion. Yeah, I found you out and you don’t like it. I saw what you’re all about behind the smiles and sweet words and I called you out. Now you want me gone.

What I love, you try to kill. My faith you try to destroy. You took my child, you took my ride and you took my pride. You’ve shut me out so far, but the game's not over yet. There's still a few innings left.

And just remember, I have this against you: I’ve got your numbers. I know their meaning. When I roll the dice, I won’t lose, you will. The Angels of Probability ride with me.

I’ll see you at the tables, Jack. I’ll have a pocketful of gold and faith and fortune at my side.”

I didn’t have a clue about the numbers yet, but I knew the bluff would hold him for awhile. I also prayed a good long time. May God grant that the Angels of Probability be with me. Let the games begin.

No comments: